Bruno Gerves

Community

How did my search for French music and books one afternoon turn into over eight years of working through city permits and building plans?  

It sounds like I got lost in the Alliance Française Vancouver mediathèque!

When I settled in Vancouver and my parents visited from France for the first time, I became a member of Alliance Française Vancouver so that my father, an avid reader, would have somewhere to get all the novels he wanted during his stay. As I spent time at Alliance, I got to know people in our (small but mighty) French community, and decided to offer some volunteer time to the organization.

Eventually, I joined the Board and became a donor, which is how I learned that the current facility could no longer serve the needs of our Alliance family. As a student, member or supporter of Alliance Française Vancouver, you probably noticed it, too. Thus began close to a decade of working with our community, funders and the city to build a new home on the site of our former building at 6161 Cambie Street. 

In a city growing as fast as Vancouver, the demand for French language classes is growing as well. But as a supporter of Alliance Française Vancouver, you know that we offer more than education – there is an immersive French cultural experience waiting for anyone who wants to practice their French language and gather with other people who love all-things-Francophonie. 

One of the spaces I’m most excited about is the new 165-seat theatre which will be a dramatic improvement over the former space that was below ground, inaccessible and small. With your support, when the new facility opens in 2023, there will be an exciting line-up of plays, concerts, and film screenings for you to enjoy in Le Théâtre of Vancouver.

But we can’t build a world-class cultural hub without your help.

Alliance Française Vancouver is asking you and I to consider a donation that will help see the project successfully completed and opened in 2023. Every donation makes a difference, and if you make a tax-deductible donation of $750 or more, you will be recognized in the new théâtre with a plaque on a seat bearing your name, or the name of someone close to you. My wife and I have chosen to dedicate seats in row “G” (for Gerves).

Will you join me in supporting this important project for the future of French language and culture in Vancouver?

Yes ! I would like to support "Le Théâtre of Vancouver" Yes ! I would like to support "Le Théâtre of Vancouver"

The new théâtre is a critical piece of the build, as students and visitors to Alliance Française Vancouver alike will benefit from the proximity of language instruction to cultural programming. I’m sure you’ve found that enjoying French “in real life” increases language fluency and comprehension.

Alliance Française Vancouver is a piece of home in my new home in BC.

We might have come to Alliance Française Vancouver for different reasons, but we stay connected for the community we found there. Your support helps not just Francophones, but all people who value diversity, and know the benefits of bilingualism in our country and world.

Alliance Française has been a part of Vancouver for almost as long as the city itself. With your help, we will be able to continue offering the high-quality French language instruction we are known for, as well as bring even more art, music, theatre and literature to our vibrant city.

I hope you’ll consider supporting the community campaign and look forward to meeting you at the new Alliance Française Vancouver soon. 

Sincerely,

Bruno Gerves
Former Board Chair, Alliance Française Vancouver

Donate now Donate now

P.S. Please do not wait to make your donation. Your support is critical as we enter the final phases of construction and try to meet a spring 2023 opening. Every donation, of any amount helps get us closer to our goal.

P.P.S. It’s never too early to think about Christmas gifts. Might I suggest a donation to Le Théâtre of Vancouver campaign in honour of someone you care about? Only a limited number of theatre seats are available for naming, so make your donation today and be a part of the legacy of Alliance Française in Vancouver.

If you have questions, or would like to talk about your donation to the new home for Alliance Française Vancouver, please contact Marion Segura, Fundraising & Development Coordinator at development@alliancefrancaise.ca or phone (604) 327-0201 extension 107.